Monday, February 3, 2014

Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica)

Ring the BLUEBELLS! Time is coming near for their arrival!
During a lovely morning walk in a small nature preserve in Munice, IN, I ran across these elegant gentlemen. When I took these pictures, I was in college, I believe it was my junior of college. At that point I did not know what they were so I just took pictures of them and admired them.

These are Virginia Bluebells, they are native to eastern North America. They thrive in moist to mesic soils along edges of woodlands or openings in forests. This beauty is growing in an open woodland along with few vegetation. It is a quick grower and bloomer in the springtime.


They are a favorite among gardeners and nature enthusiasts.

As you can see, they bloom well before most trees even have a chance to send forth their first leaf. By early to mid-summer, this handsome fellow goes dormant until next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment